Monday, July 30, 2007

time away


Matt and I are heading south for a short camping trip and then to visit my brother Christopher in L.A. who is wrapping up his summer of work with the Catholic Worker House near Skid Row (yes, that's my bro up a tree).

Matt's not as fond of camping as I am, so keep us both in your prayers. On the way back up to SF next weekend we're going to a Rufus Wainwright concert.


In addition to soaking up the beauty of the California Coast, I hope to finish reading Mark Scandrette's Soul Graffiti and the last two Harry Potter books. Matt's re-reading A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn and a Doctor Who comic book. What are you reading this summer?

4 comments:

MargretH said...

I finished Harry Potter 7 last week.
Now reading "Tortilla Curtain" by T.C. Boyle which you might enjoy especially since you're living in California now. Also read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" and "The Attack" - both good.

Let me know how you like HP7!

Peter Carey said...

Enjoy the time away; sabbath and rest is one of the best gifts God gives us, and we so often forget to take the gift!

peace to you,

Peter

Dave said...

Currently reading Verna Dozier's The Dream of God, and I'm trying to wade through Brueggeman's Theology of the Old Testament but not having much success.

Plus there are EfM materials to read through. Year 2, y'all!

Fr. John said...

Hope your time away was restorative. I'm currently reading Al Gore's "The Assuault on Reason," which is EXCELLENT. I also highly recommend Edwin Friedman's "A Failure of Nerve: Leadership in the Age of the Quick Fix," really a must read read for parish clergy and other leaders. And of course I read, marked, learned and inwardly digested "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows." Oh my, the best Potter book yet, and that is sayin' somthin'.