Friday, May 18, 2007

speaking of faith



Just learned that Shane Claiborne and New Monasticism was featured on the latest public radio program, "Speaking of Faith". I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but am looking forward to tuning in. Earlier this spring I attended a New Monasticism "School for Conversion", you can read that post here. Also, a small group of folks at Grace Cathedral read and discussed Shane's book "Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical."

Matt and I are back on the east coast for a few days to visit with family and to attend my brother's graduation from Shepherd University. Last night, my Uncle Kent took me out to one of our family's favorite spots in the Shenandoah Valley, the worker-owned collective "The Little Grill". Today, my grandmother (aka Nana) and I looked through family photographs, I was particularly glad to get a look at some really old ones from her childhood in Belleville, Pennsylvannia. There are some amusing and very serious faces in these photos of bearded Mennonite preachers. My grandfather(aka Papa) told me about his experiences in California during the Depression both in Los Angeles and San Francisco mentioning with gratitude the work of Aimee Semple McPherson and the Midnight Mission.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were glad to see our show on the "new Monastics" got a mention here. I wanted to follow up and inquire: did your Grandfather actually know, or have a personal experience with Aimee Semple McPherson? We have our sights on a show about her later ths year. It would be marvelous to find people still living her could speak to her work.
Best regards,
Kate Moos
Managing Producer
Speaking of Faith

Will said...

Dear Kate,

Thanks for your great work with Speaking of Faith. My grandfather is 93 years old and remembers listening to Aimee Semple McPherson speaking over loud speakers in a large crowd in LA in the early 1930's. He benefited from her soup kichens and other outreach efforts. I've sent a message to your colleague Trent Gilliss with further info.

Thanks!