Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Our Lady & Revolution Church


I woke up early this morning (4:00 a.m.) to attend a packed service to celebrate the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe complete with a mariachi band at a Catholic Church just down the street from my new friend Sara's house. When I got home I turned on my computer to read the news and check out some of my favorite blogs. I think it was at God's Politics that I saw an ad for a new television show called "One Punk Under God" on the Sundance Channel. The show sounds pretty interesting, a documentary series about Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker's son and the church he started that meets in a bar. You can watch a story about this from MTV news here.

These two widely different examples of contemporary Christianity remind me how immensely diverse and complex this faith really is --- so often the image of Christianity portrayed in the media is monolithic yet mornings like this one give me such hope, inspiration and excitement.

UPDATE: Also on my morning check through the news, blogs and websites I ran across a story about the wonderful Guadalupe Art Program which seeks to empower young Latinas at St. Paul's Cathedral in the Episcopal Diocese of San Diego, read all about it here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

did you see buddhalupe? i think mary moreno richardson would be a great visiting artist for cathedral/diocese of california